As mentioned on Sunday, we’re going to have a shoot out between two tony areas: Saratoga, CA and Port Washington, NY. Today, we wrap up with Port Washington:
60 Beacon Hill Rd, Port Washington, NY 11050 | MLS# 2176980
60 Beacon Hill Rd Port Washington, NY 11050
Sq. Ft.: –
Lot Size: –
Property Type: Residential, Detached
Year Built: 1955
Community: Beacon Hill
On Redfin: 20 days
Bright, Spacious Beacon Hill Fieldstone And Brick Home Set On Beautiful Property Offers 4 Br, 3 Bths, Renovated Kitchen. Beach & Tennis Rts. W/ Assoc. Fee. Convenient To All.
(Just as a note, in this region, it doesn’t seem to be custom to provide the square footage of the home. I don’t understand that. Also, the lot is 12,314 sqft feet.)
Now, at first you might say… “Gosh, yesterday’s Saratoga house seems to be a bit overpriced, considering that it is the same price and is a tear down”, but once you see the demographics of this neighborhood, you’ll understand why that kind of thinking is wrong:
The median income for a household in the CDP was $85,837, and the median income for a family was $102,646.
Ouch. It kind of makes sense though. Just look at the notable residents:
* Bobby Ojeda, Lenny Dykstra, Darryl Strawberry, Ron Darling, Dwight Gooden, Sid Fernandez, Ed Hearn, Rick Aguilera, David Cone, Keith Miller, Roger McDowell and about half of the 1986 Mets all used to live in Port Washington during their time with the New York Mets.
* Jack Aker, baseball player
* Marv Albert, sportscaster
* Carlos Beltran, New York Mets baseball player
* Len Berman, TV newsanchor
* Frances Hodgson Burnett, author
* Doug Block, film director
* John Cassavetes, (1929-1989), actor and director.
* Jerry Colonna, venture capitalist and business coach
* Perry Como (1912-2001), entertainer.
* Carl G. Fisher (1874-1939), built the Indianapolis Speedway, developed Miami Beach and Montauk, Long Island
* Fontaine Fox, cartoonist and creator of Toonerville Folks
* Leroy Grumman
* W. Averell Harriman (1891-1986), diplomat, Governor of New York
* Estelle Harris
* Craig Johnson, member of the New York State Senate
* Walter Kaner, journalist and philanthropist
* Jeff Kent, former baseball player
* Marian McPartland, jazz pianist
* Kevin McReynolds, retired New York Mets baseball player
* Jean Ritchie, famed Appalachian Dulcimer player
* Mike Scott, retired baseball player
* John Philip Sousa, conductor
* George Vecsey, New York Times sports reporter and author
* Turk Wendell, former New York Mets baseball player
* Mark Wood, electric violinist
Baseball players? Marv Albert? John Philip Sousa? Sheesh… how much money could these guys make compared to an engineer at Facebook?
Well… now you have it. Saratoga is officially a better deal. Because it’s in the Bay Area. And that makes it special.
Too bad Port Washington. Too bad.