It’s search engine Thursday here!
Recently someone found this site by searching for: how do people afford homes in california
Unfortunately this site is Bay Area focused, so there won’t be as many answers for those who are in SoCal (who are inevitably celebs, agents, subprime mortgage ceo’s, etc).
Here in the Bay Area, the answers are easy:
- Hard work. Let’s face it, owning a home should not be a cakewalk. Therefore, working 60-80 hours a week seems reasonable.
- Entrepreneurship: The Bay Area is famous for its entrepreneurial spirit. So go, buy a house! Rent out 2 bedrooms! Rent out the garage! Rent out the driveway! Do all of the above!
- Cutting things out of your life. Like vacations! After all, you’re living in the Bay Area – why do you need to go on vacation? We’ve got (cold) beaches, great (outlet) shopping. We’ve got a Great WMall! We’ve got Chinese, Korean, and Indian food. Nope no reason to leave.
- Leverage. Buying in the Real Bay Area is a sure bet. It’s like investing in tech stocks, mbs, tulips, gold! It’ll never go down. So go ahead, borrow borrow borrow! The more you burrow into debt, the richer you will be!
- Pick the right parents. Pick the right year to be born. Duh!
Readers, how do you afford your homes in California?